Future Planning

Advance Directives

An advance directive is a way for you or your loved one to communicate about the type of care you/they want to receive. It is a good idea for everyone to speak with their family about their care wishes and to create an advance directive. If you do not have an advance directive forms are available online at New Jersey Department of Health Website.



Practitioner Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment – If you or a loved one is suffering from a chronic disease process that is in the end stages you may want to consider a POLST. A POLST form is physician orders regarding life-sustaining treatment. These are actionable orders that will follow you throughout your interaction with the healthcare system. You can find more information about POLST on the New Jersey Department of Health Website.


Power of Attorney

There are several different types of Power of Attorney. A Power of attorney designates who you or your loved one wants to make decisions regarding healthcare and finances. It is a good idea to have a Power of Attorney for both healthcare and finances. Banks are very strict and will not give your family access to your finances unless they have a financial power of attorney or are named on the bank account. Having a financial power of attorney will reduce your stress regarding finances if you are unable to manage them yourself. Additionally, a Medical Power of Attorney will make it clear to your family and your physicians who you want to speak for you if you are unable to speak for yourself. Additional information regarding Power of Attorney is available here.

There are downloadable POA forms at https://powerofattorney.com/new-jersey/. If you are interested in creating a POA document, but have questions or feel that your situation is more complicated it is recommended that you speak with an attorney.

Guardianship: If your loved one is not able to sign a POA you may need to pursue guardianship. Guardianship is a legal decision about a patient’s competency. It is recommended that you speak with an attorney regarding guardianship. More information can be found at http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/ddd/services/guardianship/.

VA Benefits

If you/your spouse or your loved one/your loved one’s spouse served active duty in the military during wartime you may be eligible for the aid and attendance benefit. This benefit provides coverage for home health aide assistance or financial assistance with assisted living. In order to apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit you will need to contact your local VA office. You can reach the VA by calling 888-8NJ-VETS or download the benefit guide at https://www.nj.gov/military/.

What are the differences between Medicare and Medicaid? Click here for the document taken directly from CMS or Click here to be taken directly to the CMS website.


If you do not have secondary insurance or if you feel that you/your loved one will need a longer course of assistance whether in a long term care facility, assisted living or at home we strongly recommend completing a Medicaid application. Even if you have been denied in the past changes to your medical condition may change your eligibility. Medicaid is based on financial and medical/functional criteria. Medicaid will help to cover any co-pays that you may obtain during your course of the illness as well as provide coverage for ongoing assistance including long term care, assisted living, home health aides, home health equipment, transportation, and Medicaid to list a few. You can apply for Medicaid through your county welfare office.

You can get further information about Medicaid at the New Jersey State WebsiteClick Here for additional information. When you apply for Medicaid you will need both financial and identifying information. Click Here for a checklist that will help you determine what information you will need to take with you when you apply. The Medicaid application  needs to be completed and can be mailed in. If you have questions about the Medicaid process or your eligibility please contact your local Welfare office.

Discharge Planning

While you are a patient at Acuity Specialty Hospital of Southern New Jersey you will have a case manager that will assist you with discharge planning. Sometime people need further rehab after their ASHSNJ stay. This rehabilitation may be done at home or in an inpatient facility. You can find further information about facilities available by clicking here.

Additional Resources

You can find information about other resources such as energy assistance and food stamps by clicking here. Additional resources are also available through the state of New Jersey and the county in which you reside. Always you can reach out to your case manager or your local welfare office if you feel you need further assistance.

Prescription Assistance




PH: 304.919.4300
NURSES STATION: 304.919.4300
REFERRAL LINE: 855.281.5728



PH: 304.238.5750
NURSES STATION: 304.238.5750
REFERRAL LINE: 855.281.5728

Information for Families